AIM's Master of Science in Data Science (MSDS) is the first graduate data science degree program in the Philippines. This 14-month intensive course is designed to produce experts in the fastest-growing, most sought-after specialization worldwide.
The AIM MSDS curriculum will reflect the latest trends and best practices in the field — from data mining and exploration to machine learning, deep learning, and big data analytics.
Moreover, learning will directly address one particular pain point of the enterprise — when its data scientists cannot provide unique actionable insights.
At AIM, data scientists work closely with domain experts familiar with business and management issues. Students will, therefore, learn how to formulate the right questions and identify the correct datasets to address highly diverse business and research problems.
More crucially, they will be taught how to properly communicate results and data-driven insights to maximize their impact on business and industry.
All MSDS students will have access to a world-class computing facility housed at AIM. The facility is part of the Institute’s Analytics, Computing, and Complex Systems (ACCeSs) lab, AIM’s interface with various government and industry projects as well as world-class research to push the boundaries of Data Science and Complex Systems Science.
- Job postings per month
- Job searches per month
Bloomberg pointed out in an August 2017 article that data helps businesses make sure they don’t make a mistake. No wonder there is high demand for data scientists. The same article cited how employers increasingly seek out data scientists as shown on the job website Indeed.com.
Program at a Glance
- A 14-month intensive, full-time degree program
- For data scientists and would-be data scientists who want to provide relevant and timely data-driven actionable insights to MNCs, industries, SMBs, and governments
- Students will be exposed to the latest technologies, models, and technologies in the field of advanced analytics
- The program develops proper communication skills in presenting data-driven insights to maximize impact on the business
- Capstone course requires students (closely guided by AIM's lead mentors) to work with real-world, data-driven problems, allowing them to graduate from the program with a job-ready portfolio
The MSDS program comprises four terms over 14 months.
- Term 1
- Term 2
- Term 3
- Term 4
March - April 2018
- Introduction to Data Science
- Programming for Data Science
- Mathematics for Data Science
- Data Visualization and Storytelling
May - August 2018
- Applied Computational Statistics
- Machine Learning I
- Data Mining and Wrangling
- Business/Management Module I
- Business/Management Module II
- Leadership/Strategy Module I
- Leadership/Strategy Module II
September - December 2018
- Machine Learning II (Deep Learning)
- Big Data Analytics
January - April 2019
- Network Science
- Capstone Project
What kind of time commitment does the course require?
Students will spend 3 – 6 hours per class inside the classroom. The MSDS program is divided into four terms.
- Term 1
March – April 2018
- Term 2
May – August 2018
- Term 3
September – December 2018
- Term 4
January – April 2019
How much is the tuition fee?
Do I have to pay the entire tuition fee before classes start?
Tuition can be paid either in full or four installments, one per semester. However, students should pay a reservation fee within one month of receiving an acceptance letter, which will be deducted from the total fee. For details, call +63 2 892.4011 ext. 3004, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Am I qualified to take up a Master of Science in Data Science?
Qualifications to join the MSDS program
- Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT), Graduate Record Examinations (GRE) general test, or the AIM Data Science qualifying exam
- Undergraduate degree with minimum course requirements and / or work experience
- Proficiency in oral and written English
Minimum course requirements for new graduates
- Basic Calculus
- Linear Algebra
- At least one of the following:
- Computer Programming
- Probability and Statistics
- Advanced Physics
- Advanced Mathematics
- Any subject that requires advanced quantitative and mathematical rigor
Minimum requirements for those with work experience (at least two years in any of the following)
- Technical work experience, preferably in data analysis and / or data engineering
- Work experience with SAS, Matlab / Octave, Python, C/C++, R, BI tools, and / or other data science / analytics tools
Do I need to do anything to prepare for the MSDS program?
During the first term, students will jump right into programming and mathematics.
For the Mathematics for Data Science course, students are strongly advised to review their Basic Calculus and Linear Algebra courses. We recommended that students prepare further by visiting the Khan Academy website for topics on vectors and spaces, matrix transformations, derivative introduction, basic differentiation, product, quotient, and chain rules, and derivative applications.
For the Programming for Data Science course, we encourage students who need to refresh their knowledge or who do not have any programming background to visit the Codeacademy website for free tutorials.
What thesis do I need to produce?
The MSDS capstone project will be driven by real-world problems from a local industry or government agency. To ensure that high quality work is delivered to industry or government “clients,” the Data Science core faculty will closely mentor students through the resolution of these data-driven problems.
Outputs can vary from technical reports to deployable interactive applications or software.
Aside from the capstone project, students will have their job-ready portfolios published on GitHub, which they can show potential employers at the end of the program.
What do I need to submit to apply for the MSDS program?
- Complete online application form
- Curriculum vitae
- AIM Admissions Test for Data Science, GMAT, or GRE Official Score Report
- Transcript of Academic Records
- Professional recommendation (If self-employed, a Certificate of Business Registration instead)
- Any government issued ID
Qualified applicants will be invited for an interview with the faculty on a mutually convenient date.