Back to Faculty
Christopher P. Monterola, PhD
Aboitiz Chair in Data Science
Head, Aboitiz School of Innovation, Technology, and Entrepreneurship
Executive Managing Director, ACCeSs@AIM
- Ph.D. in Physics, (Most Outstanding PhD Student (College of Science), Edgardo Gomez Award for Excellence in Dissertation Research, Batch Valedictorian), University of the Philippines Diliman (UPD)
- Master of Science in Physics, (Most outstanding MS student (College of Science), Batch Valedictorian), University of the Philippines Diliman (UPD)
- Bachelor of Science in Applied Physics, (Magna cum Laude, Dean’s medallion, Best Thesis), University of the Philippines Diliman (UPD)
Professional and Academic Experience
- Senior Scientist and Capability Group Manager (CGM) of the Complex Systems (CxSy) Capability Group, Computing Science Department, Institute of High Performance Computing, A*STAR, Singapore (founding CGM, August 2013-present)
- Adjunct Senior Research Fellow, Complexity Institute, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore. (October 2015-present)
- Principal Investigator, Complex Systems Programme, A*STAR Urban Systems Initiative (2012-present)
Affiliations, Awards, and Honors
- 2020 Academician by the National Academy of Science and Technology
- 2016, Country Prize Winner (Singapore), United Nation Global Pulse's The Big IDEAS Competition for Sustainable Cities and Urban Communities, June 2016. EF Legara, C Monterola, JF Valenzuela.
- 2016, SMRT Most Innovative Solution Award, IHPC (from CxSy MA Ramli, V Jayaraman, G Lee, C Monterola), SMRT Vendors'; Day, 30 March 2016.
- 2014, ICCS Best Workshop Paper. N Othman, EF Legara, V Selvam, C Monterola, "Simulating Congestion Dynamics of Train Rapid Transit using Smart Card Data," International Conference on Computational Science, Cairns, Australia, 9-12 June 2014.
- 2013, IEEE SCALE Challenge. First Prize Winner. H Kasim, T Hung, EF Legara, C Monterola, G Lee, X Li, BS Lee, S Lu, L Wang, and V Jayaraman, "Scalable Complex System Modeling for Sustainable City," Sixth IEEE International Scalable Computing Challenge (SCALE 2013), Delft, Netherlands, 14-16 May 2013.
- 2009-present, Conferred the scientist rank 1 by the University of the Philippines System
- 2008-2012, University of the Philippines Centennial Professorial Chair
- Yang, B., Ren, S., Legara, E., Li, Z., Ong, E. Y., Lin, L., & Monterola, C. (2020). Phase Transition in Taxi Dynamics and Impact of Ridesharing. Transportation Science. doi:https://pubsonline.informs.org/doi/abs/10.1287/trsc.2019.0915
- Huynh, H. N., Makarov, E., Legara, E. F., Monterola, C., & Chew, L. Y. (2018). Characterisation and comparison of spatial patterns in urban systems: A case study of U.S. cities. Journal of Computational Science, 24, 34-43. doi:10.1016/j.jocs.2017.12.001
- Hu, N., Zhong, J., Zhou, J. T., Zhou, S., Cai, W., & Monterola, C. (2018). Guide them through: An automatic crowd control framework using multi-objective genetic programming. Applied Soft Computing, 66, 90-103. doi:10.1016/j.asoc.2018.01.037
- Ramli, M. A., Jayaraman, V., Kwek, H. C., Tan, K. H., Khoon, G. L., & Monterola, C. (2018). Improved estimation of commuter waiting times using headway and commuter boarding information. Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and Its Applications, 501, 217-226. doi:10.1016/j.physa.2017.12.022
- Presbitero, A., & Monterola, C. (2018). Challenging the evolution of social cooperation in a community governed by central control. Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and Its Applications, 511, 378-388. doi:10.1016/j.physa.2018.08.008
- Ma, S., Feng, L., Monterola, C. P., & Lai, C. H. (2017). Importance of small-degree nodes in assortative networks with degree-weight correlations. Physical Review E, 96(4). doi:10.1103/physreve.96.042308
- Valenzuela, J., Monterola, C. T., Tong, V., Ng, T., & Larbi, A. (2017). Health and disease phenotyping in old age using a cluster network analysis. Nature Scientific Reports. doi:https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-15753-3
- Legara, E. F., & Monterola, C. P. (2017). Inferring passenger types from commuter eigentravel matrices. Transportmetrica B: Transport Dynamics, 6(3), 230-250. doi:10.1080/21680566.2017.1291377